The proposed development provides the only real opportunity to improve the city’s overall shopping attraction significantly.
The potential improvements and benefits include:
- enhanced shopping plus cafés and restaurants
- a destination serving local people
- provision of new jobs for local people
- significant improvements to public space
- new and improved connectivity across the site
- bringing important historic buildings back into active use
- enhanced access to the city’s cultural attractions
- larger shop units to attract new retailers
- safeguarding spend in the local area
- fulfilment of local shopping needs – reducing the desire to travel to other towns or cities to shop
- helping to attract more visitors to the city
- boosting the local economy through increased trade and new jobs
- acting as a catalyst for attracting further investment in the city centre
- further enhancing the universal appeal of the city.